Benefits advice - Unemployed

If you are unemployed or in between jobs you are entitled to support. It is also a good idea to check your entitlement to payments from former employers e.g. unfair dismissal, compensation, wages in lieu of notice, redundancy pay.

From 22 February 2017, a new government benefit called Universal Credit was introduced in Southampton. This means if you are working age you will no longer be able to make a new claim for the benefits listed below:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support 
  • Child Tax Credits 
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit (some exceptions apply)

Universal Credit

If you are a single jobseeker looking for work you may be required to claim Universal Credit rather than Jobseekers Allowance.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Jobseekers Allowance

This benefit is for people who are unemployed or who work less than 16 hours a week and who are actively seeking work, are capable of work, and are available for work.

Find out more about Jobseeker’s Allowance

Housing Benefit 

Housing Benefit can help support you if you and/or your partner have to pay rent and are on a low income.

Find out more about Housing Benefit

Council Tax Reduction Scheme 

You may also be entitled to a Council Tax Reduction if you are on a low income.

Find out more about the Council Tax Reduction Scheme

Contact us

Welfare Rights and Money Advice
Southampton City Council
Civic Centre
SO14 7LR

Telephone: 023 8083 2339