If you are having difficulty paying your rent and/or Council Tax costs, you can apply for benefits. You can apply for either benefit or for both of them providing you have a liability to pay rent and Council Tax.

From 22 February 2017 you will not be able make a new claim for Housing Benefit in this area unless you are in one of the groups that are still eligible to claim Housing Benefit. Instead you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC). If you pay Council Tax you will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction with us.

If you claim or receive UC and you pay rent, your housing costs will be paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). If you need help with Council Tax, please complete the form below.

Apply for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction

Email: Benefit.services@southampton.gov.uk