From 22 February 2017 you will not be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit in this area unless you are in one of the groups that can still claim housing benefit after 22 February 2017. Instead you will need to claim for Universal Credit.

Check if you can still claim Housing Benefit.

If you pay Council Tax you will still need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction with us.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

You can apply for housing benefit and council tax reduction if you have to pay rent or council tax for your home and you fit one of the following criteria:

  • You have reached state pension credit age
  • You live in supported accommodation
  • You have savings below £16,000 (unless you are on Guaranteed Credit)

If you are a student or a person that has come from abroad you may need to meet further criteria.

If you meet the above criteria and you need help to pay your rent or Council Tax, apply as soon as possible. If you delay, you may lose out on benefit. Please supply any supporting proof as soon as you can.

What proofs do I need?

Help with applying and claims →