Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction can help you to pay some or all of your rent and council tax costs, if you are on a low income.

From 22 February 2017, you will not be able to make a new claim for Housing benefit in this area unless you are one of the eligible groups. Instead you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit.

Further information about Universal Credit

If you are a private tenant you will need to input the Local Housing Allowance figure that relates to you.

The final calculation given will be based on the information you supply and should only be treated as a rough guide of entitlement to Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction.

If your application is successful, payment will (generally) start from the Monday following the date we receive a completed application form. To make sure you don't miss out: complete the form as soon as possible.

Email: Benefit.services@southampton.gov.uk