Changes to your bin collections
There are changes to this service due to COVID-19. Check the latest updates.
Household bin collections in Southampton are alternate weeks. Your general waste (green lidded bin) will be collected one week, and your glass and recycling (your grey box and your blue lidded bin) will be collected the next week.
Which bin, which day? Find your address
Ways you can manage your waste
- You can apply for a larger recycling bin if needed
- Ensure you’re recycling the correct items to help maximise the space in your general waste bin for the materials that cannot be recycled. Recyclable items are cardboard, paper - including newspapers, magazines, junk mail, phone books and directories, plastic bottles - drinks, toiletries and cleaning products, food tins, drink cans, metal biscuit and sweet tins, and empty aerosols. If you're unsure if an item can be recycled please visit our recycling page.
- Take a look at our Reduce, Reuse, Recycle page, for tips on how to reduce the amount of waste in your general waste bin
- You can compost your fruit and vegetable peelings along with other items, giving you free compost for your garden. Find out about our composters special offer
- By recycling right we can all help increase the city’s recycling rate and improve and protect the environment for future generations
- If you have extra waste left over after all recyclables have been separated out then you can dispose of any additional waste at the local Household Waste Recycling Centre. Black sacks or other waste containers left at the side or on top of your bins will not be collected
- Depending on needs, some households may qualify for a larger general waste bin. Let us know about your needs to find out if you meet the criteria
If you have any further queries, take a look at our frequently asked questions.