Hardback and paperback books cannot be recycled in the blue lidded recycling bin due to the age of the books. The paper quality deteriorates over time and they contain glue and binding.
Good quality books can be re-used and are accepted at most charity shops.
You can also use a book bank at:
- Millbrook: Green Park car park, Wimpson Lane
- Shirley: Cannon Street recycling site
- Bitterne: Woodmill car park, Woodmill Lane or Sainsbury's car park, Angel Crescent
- Weston: Chamberlayne Leisure Centre, Weston Lane
- Woolston: Oakbank Road car park
The Household Waste Recycling Centre in First Avenue, Millbrook also has a Salvation Army book bank for good quality books.
A 'Books for Free' project is run by the Third Age Centre, and they welcome good quality books. The Centre is based at 11 Cranbury Terrace, Southampton, SO14 0LH