Dangerous wild animal licence

You need a licence to keep some animals, eg:

  • wild cats
  • primates
  • wild dogs, eg wolves
  • certain pigs, eg wild boar
  • marsupials

See the full list of animals you need a licence for.

Apply for a licence

All animal licences issued by the authority are determined by the Animal Welfare Officer based on principals of good animal welfare and veterinary advice. An inspection will be made before any application is granted.

Apply for a licence to keep a wild animal, complete and post to the address below:

Regulatory Services (Neighbourhoods)
Southampton City Council
Civic Centre
SO14 7LY

Tel: 023 8083 2531

Email: environmental.health@southampton.gov.uk

Will tacit consent apply?

No, an inspection will need to be made before any application is granted in order to safeguard animal welfare and public health and protection.

Failed application redress

Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the licence.