Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Business > Licensing > EU Service Directive > Performing animals certificate

Performing animals certificate

Type of licence

Performing animals certificate

All registrations are to be kept on a Public Register

Required for:

Persons who exhibit or train for exhibition, any animal other than invertebrates.


Persons convicted of an offence under the Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 or of an offence under any of sections 4, 5, 6(1) and (2), 7 to 9 and 11 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Application process:

Any application for registration must include particulars as to the animals involved, and the general nature of the performances in which the animals are to be exhibited or for which they are to be trained. These particulars will then be entered in the register. A certificate must be issued by Southampton City Council before the activity can take place. You should register with the council for the district in which you reside, or if you have no fixed place of residence in Great Britain, to any Local Authority in Great Britain.

The council seeks to promote principals of good animal welfare so we recommend applicants make contact with the Animal Welfare Officer before applying for a certificate.

Apply online:

Apply online or download, complete the form and post to the address below:

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances

Regulatory Services (Commercial)
Southampton City Council
Floor 5
One Guildhall Square
SO14 7FP

Tel 023 8083 2531



Will tacit consent apply?

No, a certificate must be issued before you can lawfully exhibit or train an animal. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

What if I am refused a licence or disagree with the conditions?

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.
Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the licence.

Contact information