Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Business > Licensing > EU Service Directive > Pet shop licence

Pet shop licence

Licence summary

A pet shop licence is required by anyone operating a business of selling animals as pets from any premises. This does not apply to people only breeding pedigree animals and selling the offspring.

Persons convicted of an offence under the Pet Animals Act 1951, the Protection of Animals Act 1911 or of an offence under any of sections 4, 5, 6(1) and (2), 7 to 9 and 11 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006.

Application process:

All animal licences issued by the local authority are determined by the Animal Welfare Officer based on principals of good animal welfare and veterinary advice. An inspection will be made before any application is granted. We recommend applicants make contact with the Animal Welfare Officer before applying. The main purpose of the licence is to ensure:

• that animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
• that animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food and drink and (so far as necessary) visited at suitable intervals;
• that animals, being mammals, will not be sold at too early an age;
• that all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread among animals of infectious diseases;
• that appropriate steps will be taken in case of fire or other emergency;

Apply online:

Apply online or download, complete the form and post to the address below:

Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances

Regulatory Services (Commercial)
Southampton City Council
Floor 5
One Guildhall Square
SO14 7FP

Tel 023 8083 3002



Will tacit consent apply?
No, an inspection will need to be made before any application is granted in order to safeguard animal welfare and public health and protection.

What if I am refused a licence or disagree with the conditions?

Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.
Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the licence.

Contact information