Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Business > Licensing > Gambling > Occasional and temporary use notices

Occasional and temporary use notices

The Gambling Act 2005 provides two separate methods by which occasional betting activities or temporary gambling facilities can be authorised in locations which do not have the appropriate gambling premises licence - these are occasional use notices and temporary use notices. Southampton City Council is the licensing authority for these matters within the city.

Data Protection

Please note that the licensing authority may be required by law to disclose to the appropriate authorities, from time to time, further information relating to applications and licences for the purposes of law enforcement and the prevention of fraud.

Contacting the Licensing Team

If you need to contact us by email, 'phone or post, please do so using the details below.

Opening hourslink to interactive parking map

Members of the Licensing Team are normally available on weekdays at the Civic Centre, Southampton SO14 7LY from 09:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 16:00 to assist personal callers. We may be available at other times by prior appointment.

Occasional Use Notices – Section 39

1. What is an Occasional Use Notice?

Occasional use notices (OUN) are intended to allow holders of Gambling Commission operating licences to provide betting facilities at tracks for short periods, without the need for a betting premises licence, where the event on which the betting is taking place is of a temporary nature and is infrequent. Examples of such locations would include point to point racecourses, motor racing venues and some cricket grounds.

2. What are the restrictions?

Occasional use notices can only be used for eight days or fewer in one calendar year in one location.

3. Can anyone object?

Provided that the notice will not result in betting facilities being available for more than eight days in a calendar year, there is no provision for counter-notices or objections to be made.

4. Who can provide betting facilities under an Occasional Use Notice?

Only holders of Gambling Commission betting operator’s licences can provide betting facilities under an occasional use notice.

Please note that betting operators cannot provide gaming machines at tracks by virtue of an occasional use notice. Gaming machines can be provided by betting operators only through betting premises licences, which refer to a specific licensed area.

5. How can an Occasional Use Notice be given?

A notice must be served on the licensing authority by the person who is responsible for the administration of events on the track or by the occupier of the track. A copy of the notice must also be served on the Police for the area where the track is located.

The notice must specify the day on which it has effect; notices may be given in relation to consecutive days, so long as the overall limit of eight days is not exceeded in the calendar year. Please see the related documents link to the right for the appropriate form.

6. What is the fee?

There is no fee associated with giving an occasional use notice.

Temporary Use Notices - Section 214

1. What is a Temporary Use Notice?

A temporary use Notice (TUN) can allow the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence in force.

The provisions of the Gambling Act 2005 (Temporary Use Notices) Regulations 2007 restrict the activities authorised under temporary use notices to the provision of facilities for equal chance gaming, where the gaming is intended to produce a single overall winner.

Suitable venues for a temporary use notice might include hotels, conference centres, and sporting venues.

2. Who can give a Temporary Use Notice?

A temporary use notice may only be given by a person or company holding a relevant operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission. The gambling activities must fall within the activities which the operator is authorised to provide under their operating licence.

3. What are the restrictions?

The same set of premises may not be the subject of a temporary use notice for more than 21 days in any twelve month period, but may be the subject of several notices, provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.

Should this period be exceeded, the licensing authority will issue a counter notice that has the effect of stopping the temporary use notice coming into effect. Failure to comply with the counter notice is an offence.

4. How much notice must be given?

A temporary use notice must be given to the licensing authority at least three months prior to the date when the notice is to have effect. A copy of the notice must also be given to the following responsible authorities:

  • The Police for the area where the premises are situated

  • The Gambling Commission

  • H.M. Revenue and Customs

5. How can a Temporary Use Notice be given?

A notice must be given to the licensing authority by the holder of operator’s licence. Copies of the notice must be sent to the Gambling Commission, the Police and H.M. Commissioners for Revenue and Customs. Please see the related documents link to the right for the appropriate form and contact details for the responsible authorities.

6. What are the fees?

The city council has set the fee of £450 for a temporary use notice and £45 for the issue of a copy of the endorsed notice.

7. Further Information

Guidance from the Gambling Commission, application forms and information from the Department for Culture Media and Sport can be obtained via the links at the foot of the page.

Downloadable documents

Icon Name of file Size Download time
Word document Occasional Use - Notice - Word 83 KB 0secs @ 2Mbps
PDF document Occasional Use - Notice - PDF 22 KB 0secs @ 2Mbps
PDF document GA05 - Licensing Fees 303 KB 1secs @ 2Mbps
Link to download Adobe Acrobat if required

Contact information

  • 023 8083 3002 (option 4)
  • Licensing Team, Southampton and Eastleigh Licensing Partnership, PO Box 1767, Southampton SO18 9LA