These pages provide general information about the taxi and private hire licensing functions and related issues.
Please note that the city council does not employ individual drivers, proprietors or operators; many work together on radio circuits, others work individually. If you wish to book a taxi or private hire vehicle, you should contact a licensed operator direct. The city council's role is to regulate their businesses in accordance with a complex body of law dating back to 1847.
Types of licence
- Hackney carriages, often referred to as taxis, may be hailed, hired from a taxi rank or pre-booked. Licensed vehicles have a roof sign and a distinctive red and white licence plate on the rear. Vehicles must be white in colour. Maximum fares for journeys within the city are regulated by the city council and a taximeter will be used.
- Hackney carriage drivers may drive a Southampton licensed hackney carriage, and must wear or display their licence badge.
- Private hire vehicles may only be pre-booked and are identified by signs on the side of vehicle which give details of their operator and licence number and a distinctive white and blue licence plate on the rear. Vehicles may not be white in colour. Fares are not regulated and should be agreed at the time of booking. A taximeter may be used, if one is available.
- Private hire drivers may drive a Southampton licensed private hire vehicle and must wear or display their licence badge.
- Private hire operator's licences are required by individuals or firms which take bookings for the hire of private hire vehicles.
How do I make an application?
The links on the left of this page will take you to pages for each individual licence type, including a selection of application forms.
If you wish to complain about a hackney carriage (taxi), private hire vehicle, driver or operator licensed by the city council, please read the guidance document and use either of the forms in the related documents links at the bottom of this page. Please note that, if your complaint relates to a road traffic infringement, such as alleged "road rage", your complaint must be made to Hampshire Constabulary in the first instance.
Information for licensed proprietors, drivers and operators
Please follow the "notice board" link on the left of the page for news and important information for hackney carriage and private hire vehicle proprietors, drivers and operators, which is regularly updated.
Information Commission action - Taxi Cameras
Please note that, following the judgment of the Information Rights Tribunal, issued on 20th February 2013 on an appeal against a Notice from the Information Commissioner, the requirement for the installation of camera systems in taxis and private hire vehicles has been temporarily suspended, pending the Licensing Committee's review of licence policy and conditions. The judgment is solely in respect of the continuous audio recording facility and has no effect on video recording in vehicles. Please see the taxi notice board for further information.
A number of the city's licensed hackney carriages and private hire vehicles are wheelchair accessible, and a list of these, including contact details, where available, can be found in the related documents links below.
Please note that this list is provided for information only, and that Southampton City Council cannot guarantee that individual proprietors or drivers will be able or willing to provide any particular taxi or private hire service.
The government's Department for Transport has announced that it intends to implement Part 5 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 to require all hackney carriages to be wheelchair accessible with effect from a date to be set. These proposals are still being developed, and have been further delayed from the 2010 target date. When they are announced, will appear on the Department for Transport's web site - please see the link below.
Details of licences granted for hackney carriages, hackney carriage drivers, private hire vehicles, private hire drivers and private hire operators are available via the Online Licensing Register link above. And extract of the register in respect of hackney carriage and private hire drivers appears below.