Financial support for those that need to self-isolate

Self-isolation payment

If you are in work, on a low income and need to self-isolate and can't work from home, you can apply for a self-isolation payment from 12 October 2020.

Do I qualify?

You can apply for a self-isolation payment if you are aged 16 or over and you:

  • Live in Southampton
  • Have tested positive for COVID-19 since 28 September 2020 or
  • Have been identified by NHS Test and Trace as living in the same household as – or coming into contact with – someone who has tested positive, and
  • You are employed or self-employed, you are unable to work from home while self-isolating, and you have lost income from your employment as a result
  • You must agree to comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace, and self-isolate

You also need to be currently receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit

How much will I get?

You will receive a one off payment of £500 and the payment will not reduce the amount of any of the above benefits you receive.

When can I apply?

You can only apply to receive this payment once you have received a letter confirming you been tested positive for COVID-19 and up to two weeks after your period of self-isolation ends.

You will not be able to claim for periods of self-isolation that ended before the scheme launched on 28 September 2020.

When will I get the money?

We aim to arrange for payment to be made to you as soon as we can, once we have received the necessary evidence from you and checked it. You will need to:

  • Agree to comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace and self-isolate
  • Provide your notification letter and ID from NHS Test and Trace
  • Provide proof of address, and bank statements

If you cannot provide your Test and Trace notification, we will check the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you have been asked to self-isolate. We will have checks in place to prevent and detect fraud.

Will there be any discretion if I do not meet the above criteria?

You will be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you meet all the other eligibility criteria above, but:

  • You do not currently receive Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit; and
  • You will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating

This application is for one person only and any further applications within the same household must be made by each individual. We will be looking at applications on a case by case basis and will be using our existing Housing Benefit Discretionary Payment Policy where the above criteria is not fully met. A payment of £500 will be made where is it clear that genuine hardship exists. The Discretionary Fund itself is capped and therefore each case will be considered on its own merits.

We may need to request further information from you to decide if an award can be made.

Your data

As part of the application process, we may need to check any data you provide us against other information that we hold about you. We may also receive information from other parties or organisations, or share your data with them to check the accuracy of records. This includes NHS Test and Trace (CTAS) and the DWP. This will enable us to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways where the law allows.

We will also need to provide information to HMRC about any payments we make, as we understand that, where applicable, the payments are subject to Tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

You will have to agree to share your data before you can complete the form.

Apply for Test and Trace Support