DIY works are usually short lived small projects undertaken by non-professionals. If you are beginning a large, long-term project of more than 2 weeks, please see the advice regarding Construction Noise
If you are planning to carry out noisy DIY at your home, please let your neighbours know in advance.
In extreme cases, DIY noise can constitute a statutory nuisance.
Before starting DIY works, you should:
- Consider the impact upon your neighbours
- Discuss the works with any neighbours who will be affected
- Try to agree on the least intrusive times when noisy work may be carried out
- Take into account any special needs your neighbour may have, such as shift work, working from home and children’s sleep patterns
Noisy DIY work (drills, machinery, work on joint floors or walls) should be restricted to the following hours:
- Weekdays - 8am to 7pm
- Saturdays - 9am to 5pm
- Sundays and Bank Holidays - 10am to 2pm
Make a noise complaint