Flood sign - graphic

Dial 999 in an emergency or if there is risk to life!

Flooding to highways (roads), or from sources of surface water, ordinary watercourses (small streams, rivers or ditches) or groundwater

  • Report flooding to the Council on 023 8083 3000, Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm
  • For emergencies outside these times (including bank holidays) call the out of hours team on 023 8023 3344
  • Report flooding to highways (roads) due to a blocked drain or gully by completing the online form

Report flooding

Flooding from public sewers (foul, surface water or combined) or freshwater pipes

  • Flooding from public sewers (foul or surface water) or suspected burst pipes should be reported to Southern Water for investigation
  • For supply or waste water emergencies, blocked drains or possible pollution call Southern Water on 03303 030 368
  • If you spot a water leak, contact Southern Water's 24 hour Leak-line on 0800 820 999

Flooding from the sea or main rivers

  • If there is a flood, or you see something that could cause a flood such as a branch obstructing a watercourse or a blocked trash screen, please call the Environment Agency’s 24 hour incident line on 0800 807 060
  • If you are worried about flood risk or require further information or advice before/during a flood, call the Environment Agency’s 24 hour Floodline on 0345 988 1188

Flooding from an unknown or persistent source

If you are experiencing flooding that is from an unknown source, is persistent, or where the responsibility is unclear, you should notify the Council’s Flood Risk team on flooding@southampton.gov.uk for further advice or, where deemed necessary, further investigation. When doing so please include as much information as possible to help us, even include pictures of the flooding itself and where you think the flooding may be coming from.

For more information on how investigations are carried out please see our Flood investigations page.