Our vision is to create a cleaner, green, healthier and more sustainable city.
Southampton will be a better place for present and future generations that is prepared for the challenges presented by climate change.
We will achieve this by ensuring we are ambitious, lead by example and set ourselves challenging goals.
- We want to be carbon neutral by 2030
- We will take actions that will improve the quality of life in our city. We want the Healthy Life Expectancy Indicator to be the best amongst our peers and to remove the difference cities like Southampton experience with rural areas in terms of deaths attributed to air pollution
- We will work in partnership, share our knowledge and inspire others
- We will protect and enhance our natural environment
- We will make the best use of our resources, reduce our energy consumption, minimise waste and ensure we repair, reuse and recycle
- We will encourage, promote and incentivise the use of sustainable and active travel
- We will reduce emissions and aspire to satisfy World Health Organisation air quality guideline values. By 2025 we want to see nitrogen dioxide levels of 25 µg/m3 as the norm
- We will use energy that is generated from renewable sources and support the generation of sustainable energy that does not compromise local air quality
- We will use services and products that support our vision.
Making Southampton a clean, greener, healthier and more sustainable city
Pledge your support to the Green City Charter
Download a copy of the Green City Charter
If you have any questions about the Green City Charter please contact firstname.lastname@example.org