We keep records of everyone who uses our Adult or Children's Social Care service. The only people who are able to access your records are those who need to see them in relation to providing you with the care you need. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you are allowed to see a copy of your files.

Apply to see your social care records 

To apply to see your social care records, please fill in the application form and send it, along with your proof of identity and address to the address below.  If you are currently receiving a service from adults or children's social care, you will not have to pay to see your records. However, if you have used a service in the past but are not using one at the moment, you will have to pay £10 to see your records. This is not refundable.

Please send:

  • your completed form 
  • either a copy of your passport or driving licence, showing your name and signature 
  • a household bill issued within the last 3 months (such as a council tax bill) which shows your name and address
  • your fee (if applicable)


Senior Legal Assistant (Information)
Southampton City Council
Legal & Governance
Civic Centre
SO14 7LY