Formerly known as Oaklands, the development of 103 new council-owned homes off Fairisle Road in Lordshill has been renamed ‘Starboard Way’ by pupils at Fairisle Junior School. The development will feature a mixture of council-rented and shared-ownership homes, while a proportion will also be made available to residents with care needs.
Status: Under construction
Number of homes: 103
Type of homes: One, two and three-bedroom houses; one and two-bedroom flats.
Who the homes are for: Housing Register applicants; private shared ownership.
Highlight features: A range of energy-efficient features; areas of formal and informal play across the site; electric charging points in car parking areas.
Expected completion date: 2022
Architect: Kenn Scadden Associates
Builder: Drew Smith Group
Project manager: Matt Bellamy - email@example.com
Planning permission details
About the development
The development is set to complement the surrounding area and offer a contemporary street scene by including:
- Semi-detached pairs, short terraces and small blocks of two and three-storey flats
- A mixture of roof designs
- A range of energy-efficient features, such as solar panels
- Areas of formal and informal play across the site
- A cycle path will be rerouted through the development
- Electric charging points in car parking areas, plus improved electrical infrastructure (including substation upgrade) for houses to have the option for these to be installed at a later date
Information about shared ownership homes
Shared ownership offers those who can’t afford to buy a home through a traditional mortgage, the opportunity to buy a share of it. This can be between 25% and 75% of the home’s value.
You will pay rent, to cover the percentage of the property that you do not own. The more of the property you have a share in, the lower your rental payments will be.
Learn more about shared ownership
Register your interest in shared ownership at the Starboard Way housing development. For more information please visit southampton.gov.uk/newhomes