Did you know that badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, explosions, fires, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can be mistaken for flu, food poisoning, viral infections and tiredness. Every year people are injured or die from faulty gasworks.
Our legal duty to you
It is Southampton City Council’s legal duty to you, as a council tenant, to make sure all of our owned gas appliances are checked every year by a Gas Safe engineer.
Your duty to us
As a tenant, you have a legal duty to allow our engineer into your home so that checks can be carried out.
It is recommended that if you have your own gas appliances you should have them regularly checked by a Gas Safe engineer and certified accordingly.
If you are thinking about installing a gas appliance (excluding cookers) don’t forget you must obtain permission and the appliance must be installed by a Gas Safe engineer.
Email your request to: email@example.com
- Allow us into your home to carry out an annual gas safety check
- Make sure an adult is at home for your appointment
- Report any problems with our gas appliances immediately on 023 8083 3006
- Make sure we can get to your appliances and gas meter
- Block any air vents to gas appliances
- Block gas flues or chimneys taking away fumes from gas appliances
- Carry out any DIY work on gas
- You could be breaking the law and putting your health and safety and those around you at risk
You must not use portable oil, paraffin or bottled gas heaters or cookers.
It is a condition of your tenancy that you must not use these types of heaters or cookers in your home. This includes using any bottled, cylinder or Calor gas. There are very good reasons for this:
- They can be a fire risk
- Carbon monoxide can suffocate people if an appliance is used in a poorly ventilated room, or is faulty and does not burn properly
- When in use they are a major cause of condensation. For every litre of fuel burnt a litre of moisture is produced. This moisture then settles on walls, windows and other cold surfaces