The Employment Support Team is the council's employment support service. We offer help, advice and support to people who are disabled or disadvantaged, to find work or training.
The Employment Support Team can help by:
- Talking to people about what kind of work they would like to do
- Helping them to realise what skills and abilities they already have, to help them find the right job
- Finding training courses
- Helping to look for jobs and contacting employers
- Talking to employers if people are worried about how their health or disability might affect their chance of getting a job
- Helping to fill in application forms and create an up to date CV
- Working beside people in the job to help them learn and settle in if necessary
- Giving support to access benefit advice
- Listening to how the job is going and giving advice if and when it's needed
Eligibility for support depends upon certain criteria for individual projects. To find out if someone is eligible please contact us on the details below.
In Southampton, our projects support:
- People who are deaf or hard of hearing
- People with learning disabilities
- People with mental health issues who access Southampton's Community Mental Health Teams
- People living at Supporting People accommodation across Southampton or accessing housing support from In Touch or No Limits
- People living in Council & Housing Association accommodation (TEEM)
- People who are 2 years unemployed with a health marker
The Employment Support Team deliver employability training in different venues across the city. More information is available in the flyer. If you are interested in attending please contact us and find out when the next course if running.
The Employment Support Team currently run the following work clubs which are open to all:
- Central work club at Central Library every Thursday 3-5pm
- Bitterne work club at Bitterne Library every Monday 10am - 12pm
- Weston work club at Weston Library every Monday 1pm - 3pm
- TEEM drop-ins:
Warren Centre IT suite - Tuesdays 1pm - 3pm
Maybush housing office - Tuesdays 10am - 12pm
Clear Offices 2 James Street, Golden Grove - Fridays 11am - 1pm.
023 8091 7585
Textphone users: 18002 023 8091 7786
British Association for Supported Employment
Map of mental health services in the city