Find out what's available for you and your family at home from our libraries, there's something for everyone and it's all free with a library membership!
Not a member? Join online now (also free!)
Reading and Listening
Our libraries might be closed but you can keep reading from home.
Now might be the perfect time to learn new skills online.
Local and Family history
Research your family history or discover Southampton's past.
Libraries are closed but we are still engaging and entertaining you from a distance.
Staying in touch
Useful websites and signposting
Libraries are trusted sources of information and here are some useful websites and resources.
Children and families -
- Booktrust transforms lives by getting children and families reading
- National Literacy Trust - providing simple activities to engage your children at home
- Nosy Crow release a free information book to help explain Coronavirus to children
- BBC Bitesize are releasing daily lessons to support home schooling and distance learning
- The Book of Hopes - a collection of short stories, poems, essays and pictures with contributions from over 110 children’s writers and illustrators
Art and culture -
- Visit the Seacity Museum for online activities including activity sheets, quizzes and a virtual tour of the Titanic story exhibition
- Gods House Tower - enjoy a series of talks, events and activities online, from wherever you are
- Museums and Art Galleries – 10 best virtual tours - visit the Vatican, Natural History and The British Museums
- Culture in Quarantine - a virtual festival of arts, classic Shakespeare and access to exhibitions and performances across the country
Health and wellbeing -
- Every Mind Matters - Looking after your mental health during the lockdown
- NHS guide to maintaining wellbeing through managing stress and anxiety with mindfulness techniques
- 10 minute cardio workout - for the more energetic among you
- Silver Line - a free confidential helpline providing information, friendship and advice to older people
Entertainment and Music -
- Consequence of Sound - a source of breaking news about music, film and TV, plus daily reviews, exclusive interviews and videos.
- National Theatre Productions - watch full length plays for free every Thursday on their Youtube channel
- March Network - access music gigs, opera performances, full length plays, plus learning opportunities and origami tutorials for beginners!
- BBC Sounds - a wide range of interesting programmes, podcasts, radio and music. You will need to sign in with your free BBC account or register if you don’t have one.
Reading Groups -