Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Living > Safer Southampton > ASB > Drinking Control Area

Drinking Control Area

Photograph of Above Bar

On 3 May 2007 Southampton became a Drinking Control Area under a Designated Public Places Order (DPPO). You can find out about what this means and the areas of the city where DPPO powers are currently enforced by following the links below.

Designated Public Place Order

1. What is a Designated Public Place Order?

The Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001 enables the council to designate Drinking Control Areas in public places in Southampton. In these areas it is an offence to drink alcohol after being asked not to do so by an enforcement officer.

2. Is it a ban on drinking alcohol?

No. A drinker's behaviour will be considered in any action by enforcement officers. If you are drinking alcohol sensibly in a park with a picnic, you will not be affected.

3. Does the DPPO affect licensed premises?

The DPPO will not stop the consumption of alcohol in any area licensed for the sale and supply of alcohol during normal licensing hours and for 30 minutes at the end of that time. But, if public areas are not included in the premises licence, the order will apply to it.

4. Who can enforce the DPPO?

The following people can enforce the Designated Public Places Order.

  • Police officers

  • Police Community Support Officers (PCSO's).

5. How will it affect me?

An enforcement officer has the power to ask you to stop drinking alcohol in a public place if in his/her opinion:

  • You are creating disorder or behaving in an anti-social manner when drinking or under the influence of alcohol

  • You are likely to behave in an anti-social or disorderly way when drinking or under the influence of alcohol

6. What may the enforcement officer do?

The action the enforcement officer takes will depend on your response to his/her request. The questions and answers below should give you a clearer idea of the action that might be taken.

What will happen if I refuse to stop drinking alcohol?
If you continue to drink when asked not to, your alcohol may be taken away and disposed of by the enforcement officer.

What if I give up my alcohol?
If you give up your alcohol and do not continue to behave in an anti-social manner, there will be no further action.

What will happen if I do not hand over my alcohol?
You may be arrested and have to pay a maximum fine of up to £500.

What will happen if I hand over my alcohol but continue to behave in an anti-social manner?
You may be arrested and convicted of a public order offence.

7. Why have a city-wide Designated Public Places Order?

The DPPO has been extended to:

  • give enforcement officers the power to target areas of the city where there is repeat and persistent nuisance, clearly linked to the public drinking of alcohol

  • cut down alcohol related disturbances in public

  • cut down drunkenness in public places

  • send a clear and consistent message that anti-social drinking is not acceptable and will not be tolerated in the city's public places

  • help make the city a place where residents, workers and visitors feel safe

  • meet the worries of local communities

8. Where to get help, information and advice?

If you are an adult and would like information and advice about alcohol please contact Options or the New Road Centre:

Address: Options, 147 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3FH.
Telephone: 023 8063 0219

New Road Centre
Address: New Road Centre, 2 The Carronades, New Road, Southampton, SO14 0AA.
Telephone: 023 8071 71 71

If you are a young person and would like information and advice about substance misuse issues please contact No Limits:
No Limits offer a caring, supportive environment where young people can get information and explore issues that are affecting their lives. For young people aged between 13 and 25.

City Centre No Limits
Address: 24a Bernard Street, Southampton, SO14 3AY
Telephone: 023 8022 4224

Shirley No Limits
Address: 278 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3HL
Telephone: 023 8051 1051

Sholing No Limits
Address: 406 Portsmouth Road, Southampton, SO19 9AT
Telephone: 023 8043 5000

Opening times vary depending on each drop-in centre. Please telephone for opening times.

Safer Clubbing
The Safe In Sound project works at venues around the city and in the universities and aims to raise awareness about club health issues, including drugs and sexual health. The project is confidential and neither condemns nor condones substance use. For information about safer clubbing please contact Safe In Sound: telephone 023 8021 6031 or visit the Safe In Sound website using the link at the foot of this page.

Other useful services:
For information about drugs please contact FRANK: telephone 0800 77 66 00
National Alcohol Helpline (Drinkline): telephone 0800 917 8282
Alcoholic's Anonymous: telephone 0845 769 7555

Downloadable documents

Icon Name of file Size Download time
Image Drinking Control Order 535 KB 2secs @ 2Mbps
Image Designated Public Places Order Guidance 21 KB 0secs @ 2Mbps
Link to download Adobe Acrobat if required

Contact information