Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Living > Children's social care > Access to social care records

Access to social care records

The cover of the social care records leafletWe keep records of everyone who uses our adult or children's social care service. Under the 1998 Data Protection Act you are allowed to see a copy of your files.

Apply to see your social care records

To apply to see your social care records, please fill in the application form in the downloadable documents box below and send it and the relevant forms and fee to the address at the bottom of this page.

For more information please see our frequently asked questions box below, and the following pages:

Other people's records

This page tells you how to apply to see the records of another person, such as a relative, and how to make an appeal if you have been refused access to another person's records.

Seeing your records

This page explains how you can access social care records for yourself or on behalf of someone else.

What we keep in your records, and why

This page explains what information is kept in your social care records, and why.

Your consent

This page explains when and why we need to share information about you from your social care records with other organisations. It explains how you can give your consent for us to do this, or how you can refuse.

Apply for your records - frequently asked questions

1. Why do you collect and keep personal information?

We collect and keep personal information about those who have used our social care services:

  • To assess your needs and plan your care arrangements

  • To provide you with the health and social care services you require

  • To ensure that, where necessary, your financial circumstances are properly assessed for the purposes of charging for services and to facilitate the provision of welfare benefits.

2. How do you store personal information?

Your personal information will be held in a combination of records on a computer system and in paper files. The only people who are able to access your records are those who need to do so in relation to providing you with the care you need.

3. What proof of identity will I need to provide?

This can be either a copy of your passport or driving licence, showing your name and signature. We will also need to see a recent household bill (such as a council tax bill) which shows your name and address.

4. Will I have to pay to see my records?

If you are currently receiving a service from adults or children's social care, you will not have to pay to see your records.

If you have used a service in the past but are not using one at the moment, you will have to pay £10 to see your records.  This is not refundable.

Downloadable documents

Icon Name of file Size Download time
PDF document Access to social care records - application form 145 KB 0secs @ 2Mbps
Link to download Adobe Acrobat if required

Contact information