How do I qualify for an English National Concessionary Bus Pass if I am under pensionable age?
You will need to be over 5 years of age and meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- be blind or partially sighted
- be profoundly or severely deaf
- be without speech
- have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
- have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
- have a learning disability, that is, a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which started before adulthood and includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
- would be refused a licence to drive a motor vehicle, should an application be made under Part III of the Road Transport Act 1988, under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) otherwise than on the grounds of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol
and provide one of the following documents as evidence of the above:
- A registration card stating that you are either severely sight impaired (blind), sight impaired (partially sighted) deaf or without speech,
- A Certificate of Vision Impairment.
- A letter from the Department for Work and Pensions confirming that you are currently in receipt of the Higher rate of the Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance.
- A letter from Southampton City Council's Day Services or Learning Disabilities Team confirming that you have a Learning Disability.
- A recent letter from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) confirming that you are medically unfit to drive and have surrendered your licence.
- A letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency confirming that you are in receipt of War Pensioner's Mobility supplement.
- A newly completed 09MQ12 form, signed and stamped by a medical practitioner confirming that you are eligible (09MQ12 forms can be printed from this website or are available from Gateway).
The Government Guidance on eligible disabilities gives full details of the above categories.
How do I apply for my bus pass?
By completing an application form and returning it in person to any Southampton library, local housing office or to Gateway at One Guildhall Square (on the site of the old C&A building opposite the Guildhall). Application forms are available from any of these venues or can be printed from this site to complete. You can request that an application form be posted out to you by following the link on the right hand side of this page.
Along with your application form you must provide:
Proof of your qualification from the list above.
Proof of your address on a document in your name, not more than three months old, such as a Utility bill, Bank statement or current Council Tax bill.
Proof of your personal identification. A document containing your name and date of birth, such as a Driving licence, Passport or Birth Certificate (if it is still in your current name).
A colour passport photograph taken on a light background will be required. Digital or black and white photographs cannot be accepted. Gateway is able to take your photograph for use on your Smartcities card although this is not a guaranteed service.
Please see the terms and conditions for times of use for the bus pass and for further information regarding the use of the Smartcities card.
Local Southampton Bus Pass
From 1 April 2013 Southampton City Council will only issue concessionary bus passes under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme. The Local Southampton bus pass will still be accepted until the expiry date on the front of the card. Please see above for information about the English National Concessionary bus pass.
Council venues opening times.
WE CANNOT ACCEPT POSTAL APPLICATIONS.
English National Concessionary Bus Pass for the eligible disabled.