South Stoneham Cemetery is located in Stoneham Cemetery Road, Swaythling, Southampton SO18 2NF
The first burial to take place at South Stoneham Cemetery (originally known as South Stoneham Parish Council burial ground) on was on 4 February 1905. Southampton City Council took ownership of the cemetery in 1927.
The cemetery can accommodate both new and re-opened graves and there is a section available for the interment of cremated remains. There are plans to develop new areas for larger, contemporary graves.
There is a Chapel situated within the grounds which, on payment of an additional fee, can be used for holding a service prior to a burial taking place.
South Stoneham Cemetery is adjacent to the site of the original Crematorium which was demolished in 1973 to make way for the construction of the M27. Soil from the original site was transported to form the Garden of Remembrance which, with formal lawns and shrub beds, are still in use today.
A range of memorials including pond plaques and kerb sets have been introduced in the Garden of Remembrance to enable families to commemorate the memory of those whose cremated remains have been scattered within the garden.