Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status

You are here:home > Living > Southampton Ceremonies > Weddings and Civil Partnerships > Arranging your ceremony

Arranging your ceremony

Booking the ceremony

Flowers at the Register Office

The first thing to do is to decide where you are going to have your ceremony. You might choose the beautiful Golden Jubilee room in our listed building in the heart of Old Southampton – or you might want to hold your ceremony in one our many venues that are approved to hold ceremonies. Once you have chosen your venue and checked its availability, you will then need to make a provisional booking.

The provisional booking fee for a ceremony with us is £45.00. This is a non-refundable fee and secures the time and date of your ceremony. This can be paid by credit/debit card, cash or cheque with a valid guarantee card.

You can make your provisional booking by either telephoning us on the contact number below or by visiting our office in Bugle Street.

If your ceremony is not to be in one of our rooms at Bugle Street, you will also need to provisionally confirm your booking with the venue you have chosen.

Opening Quotation Marks

I could not fault any of your service from the day we booked the ceremony to walking out the door a married couple. All of the staff have been friendly yet professional, and always willing to go above and beyond their call of duty to accommodate us. The Registrar that led the ceremony was brilliant and made us feel much more relaxed. Thank you all for making our special day so perfect.

Closing Quotation Marks

Giving notice of your ceremony

Once you have made your provisional booking, you will need to make an appointment to show your relevant documents to the register office that covers the area where you have lived for the past 8 full days. This is the legal process called ‘Giving Notice’.

Documentation required

Please make sure that you bring the originals of the following documents - if you don’t have the correct documents we may not be able to issue the notice, which could lead to your ceremony being cancelled.

If you are not a British Citizen and were born outside of the EAA you will need to contact us so we can discuss what documentation is needed. Alternatively you can use the links at the bottom of this page .


British Citizens and those born in the EAA should show their current, valid, full passport or if you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 your own full birth certificate showing your parent(s) name AND one of your parents or your mother's (if not married at the time of your birth) passport or birth certificate.

We also need you to bring identification showing your current names and addresses e.g. a recent utility bill, bank statement, council tax bill or driving license.

More advice of the type of documents required are listed below or follow the links to relevant organisations.

Please also note: Registration offices have a statutory duty to report any marriage or civil partnership they suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading statutory immigration controls

If you need to discuss any of these matters further, please contact us on the details at the bottom of this page.

For more information about 'giving notice' please go to Frequently Asked Questions.

Documentation required

1. If you have been previously married or registered in a civil partnership

If you have been married or registered a civil partnership before, you will need to show a copy of your decree absolute/annulment or final order of civil partnership dissolution/annulment. These documents will require the original court stamp. If the document is not in English, you will be required to provide a full written English translation. It may be necessary to submit some foreign documents to the General Register Office for verification. You will be advised should this be the case. 

If your Divorce was finalised in Southampton, you can contact the Combined Court to obtain a duplicate of the Decree Absolute documents on 02380 213200.

2. If you are widowed

If you are widowed please bring your late partners death certificate. If you did not register the death, you may also need to produce your marriage or civil partnership certificate.


3. If you or your partner are between 16 and 18 years old

You will need to bring along the Completed Consent Form (see the link at the bottom of this page).

Frequently asked questions

1. Do we need to make an appointment to give notice?

Yes, we do ask you to make an appointment by telephoning us on 02380 915327. An appointment will usually last 30-40 minutes. You are both required to give notice in person.

This office is open between the following hours:

9.00am to 4.30 pm Monday Wednesday and Thursday
10.00am to 4.30pm Tuesday
9.00am to 4.00pm Friday

Our address is:

The Register Office, 6a Bugle Street, Southampton SO14 2LX.

Please follow the link on our menu for further contact details and where to find us.

2. When can notice be given?

Notice cannot be given more than one year ahead of your ceremony date, but must be given at least 15 clear days ahead of your ceremony date.

However, we do ask you to give your notice within four weeks of making your provisional booking, so that all your legal arrangements have been made in plenty of time.

3. How much will it cost to give notice and how can I pay?

It will cost you £35.00 for each notice given. This is a non-refundable fee set by the Government . Payment is accepted by cash, credit or debit card or by cheque.

4. What happens if we change our venue?

The notice is only valid for the venue that you have specified for the ceremony – if you change your mind after giving notice you will have to give afresh notice and pay the notice fee and any booking fees again.


Downloadable documents

Icon Name of file Size Download time
PDF document Southampton Ceremonies Brochure 2185 KB 8secs @ 2Mbps
Link to download Adobe Acrobat if required

Contact information

If you want to contact us regarding the content of this page please contact us at:

For any other council related enquiries please contact: