Welcome to the city statistics and research pages. We provide statistics on Southampton and Hampshire in various subject areas including population, ethnicity, census and the economy.
- Southampton covers 51.81km2
- Southampton’s population is currently 236,900 (2011 Census). More details in the 2011 Census section.
- In February 2013 5,744 or 3.5% of Southampton’s working age resident population were unemployed and claiming Jobseeker's Allowance an increase of 98 claimants on the previous month. Details in the Labour Market bulletin.
- The average house price in Southampton for Feb 2013 is £138,311 a fall of 1.5% in the last year.
- Southampton is ranked 81st out of all 326 Local Authorities in England in the overall Index of Multiple Deprivation 2010 (where one is the most deprived). Details in the IMD section
- Southampton is ranked 15th in the Venuescore 2011-12 list for Top Shopping Venues in the UK.
- Southampton University is ranked 15th in the 2013 league tables from the Complete University Guide.
- Southampton University is ranked 73rd in the 2012/13 QS Top Universities league tables.
For more information on Southampton please see the sections below: