Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the report of the Leader of the
Council seeking authorisation for the disposal of four sites to
accelerate the provision of affordable homes in the city.
(i) To approve the disposals of the following sites
• former Brownhill House Care Home
• former Lordshill Housing Office
• former Lordshill Community Centre
• former Oaklands Community School
On a leasehold or freehold basis at less than Best Consideration where appropriate and that the disposals will contribute to the promotion or improvement of the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of the area.
(ii) To delegate authority to the Associate Director – Capital Assets following consultation with the Leader of the Council, the Service Director Finance and Commercialisation and the Service Director Legal and Governance to agree detailed terms and conditions and to take any other actions required to give effect to this decision.
To facilitate the development of new homes in the city.
1. Do nothing, this would leave these sites undeveloped and incurring cost to the authority in relation to security and maintenance.
2. Market these sites to private developers which would (if attractive) result in proposals that would only be required to be policy compliant in terms of affordable housing provision (35%). Ultimately affordable housing may also still not be provided if the inclusion were to undermine the financial viability of the scheme.
Report author: Tina Dyer-Slade
Publication date: 20/03/2018
Date of decision: 20/03/2018
Decided at meeting: 20/03/2018 - Cabinet
Effective from: 29/03/2018