Venue: Conference Room 3 - Civic Centre. View directions
Contact: Emily Goodwin/Pat Wood, Democratic Support Officer 023 8083 2302
Apologies and Changes in Membership (If Any)
To note any changes in membership of the Committee made in accordance with Council Procedure Rule 4.3.
The Committee noted that apologies had been received from Councillors Bogle, Furnell, B Harris and McEwing.
To approve and sign as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 24th July 2017 and to deal with any matters arising, attached.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 24 July 2017 be approved and signed as a correct record.
Report of Head of Service, Transactions and Universal Services, seeking approval to consult on the attached draft GA05 Statement of Licensing Policy.
The Committee considered the report of the Service Director – Transactions and Universal Services seeking approval to consult on the revised draft Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles.
The Committee discussed and agreed the following updates/amendments:
· Recommendation (i) on the report should read “That the Licensing Committee considers the draft revised Gambling Act policy attached at Appendix 1 and endorses for consultation purposes”;
· Page 4 of 52 – Paragraph 1.3 – amend the first sentence to read “This Licensing Authority is aware that in accordance with Section 153 of the Act, in making its decisions about premises licences and temporary use notices it should aim to permit the use of the premises for gambling in so far as it thinks it is: (a) …………”;
· Page 7 of 52 – Paragraph 3.4 – Add “Local Safeguarding Children’s Board”, “Local Safeguarding Adults Board” and “Universities”, amend “Safeguarding Children” to “Children’s Services”;
· Page 15 of 52 – Habitual players of gaming machines – change “Homelessness” to “Homeless” and change “Immigration” and “Probation” to “Those dealt with by immigration and probation services”;
· Page 20 of 52 – Paragraph 9.5.19 (a) to read as follows: Provide leaflets and posters, free telephone helpline and GamCare/Responsible Gambling Trust (RGT) contact details aimed at customers and their families/friends, which will include how to identify signs of problem gambling and pathways to advice and assistance e.g. helpline number and online counselling facility. For every 100 m2 …….”;
· Page 26 of 52 – Paragraph 11.7 – second sentence to read as follows: It is noted though that the door supervisors at casinos or bingo premises may or may not be licensed by the Security Industry Authority (SIA); and
· Page 39 of 52 – Paragraph 19.1 – to read as follows: “It will fall to the Licensing Authority to decide, where category D machines and/or equal chance prize gaming without a permit is to be made available for use at travelling fairs, whether the statutory requirement ………”.
The Committee further agreed that relevant links to Southampton City Council’s website and other useful websites be included in all communications and that the Contents Pages of the Statement of Principles be checked for accuracy once the document had been finalised.
(i) That, subject to the above amendments, the draft revised Gambling Act Policy be endorsed for consultation purposes; and
(ii) That a further report be taken to Council for consideration in November 2017 following consultation.