Expansion of Southampton International Airport will lead
- More noise pollution (5600 local people are already living with levels of noise that are double those recommended by the WHO for airport emissions)
- Increased air pollution (from both flights and associated traffic increases)
- Worse road congestion
- Increased greenhouse gas emissions (inconsistent with achieving zero net carbon by 2050 - flight numbers need to be cut, not increased, to prevent climate breakdown)
- Few, if any, benefits for Southampton residents (we get a worse quality of life to enable more flights)
- The promise of low-paid jobs is not enough to cover the cost to us, as council tax payers, of all the above
- Flights from Southampton are decreasing anyway, and if Heathrow is expanded regional airports will lose traffic, making expansion of Southampton unnecessary
- More flights will undermine Southampton City Council's own Green City Charter and make a mockery of the Council's efforts to achieve a low carbon future for our city
This ePetition runs from 08/09/2019 to 03/11/2019.
954 people have signed this ePetition.