Councillor Simon Letts
Title: Leader of the Council
Other councillors representing this Ward:
Councillor Letts holds a surgery on the first Tuesday of the month, between 10 and 12noon, at Hightown Centre, Tunstall Road. Councillor Letts is happy to visit you in your own home by arrangement. To make an appointment, please phone or email Councillor Letts using the details given on this page.
c/o Cabinet Members' Room
Southampton City Council
Phone: 023 8023 4689
Phone: 023 8083 2508(PA)
- Cabinet (Leader)
- Chief Officer Employment Panel (Chair)
- Chipperfield Trust
- Joint Chief Officer Employment Panel (SCC) and Employment Committee (IoWC)
Terms of office
- 04/05/2006 - 06/05/2010
- 06/05/2010 - 08/05/2014
Appointments to outside bodies
- Business Solent
- Corporate Parenting
- Eastpoint Centre Ltd - Board Members
- Hampshire Senate
- Local Government Association
- Partnership for Urban South Hampshire
- Solent Local Enterprise Partnership
Cllr Simon Letts was appointed Leader of Southampton City Council on
15 May 2013. Councillor Letts has lived in Southampton since 1981 having come to the city to study Chemistry at the University. Upon Graduation he set up a small business developing real time game simulations. He first joined the Council in 1991 as a member for the Millbrook ward soon after he trained as a Science teacher and has taught in local schools for twenty years. He met his partner Carolyn in 1993 and they live in Freemantle with their two children Owen 20 and Emma 14. Since 2006 Cllr Letts has represented the Bitterne Ward.
Outside of politics he volunteers for a local children’s charity and enjoys sport, reading and occasional visits to the cinema, theatre and pub where he enjoys a good pint of real ale.
1984 Joined the Labour Party
1991 – 1995 Served as Ward Councillor for Millbrook from 1991-1995
Vice-Chair, Strategy Development Committee
Vice-Chair, Planning Committee
2002 - 2004 Chair, Environment & Transport Scrutiny Panel
2006 - 2012 Chair, Overview & Scrutiny Management Committee and opposition spokesperson for Environment & Transport.
Co-ordinated policy development for the opposition
2012 – 2013 Cabinet Member for Resources (Finance, HR, Property, Strategic Planning
- Public engagement and Democracy
- Holistic economic development
- The public realm
- Raising aspirations and creating economic opportunities
- Encouraging the knowledge economy
- Lifelong learning and training to equip Southampton people for the employment opportunities of the future.
- 023 8083 2430