Pay less to park in Southampton - from Monday 9 March
Drivers will be paying less for parking in on-street parking bays in the city centre from Monday 9 March, when we change most of our daytime and evening parking charges and introduce a new 15-minute evening parking grace period.
The key changes include:
- Reducing the cost of on-street evening parking to 50p for each half an hour between 6pm and 8pm - replacing the fixed £2 evening parking charge introduced in January 2014.
- Introducing a new 15-minute ‘grace period’ for evening parking in on-street bays from 5:45pm to 6pm for those needing to cover this period when parking for the evening.
- Simplifying on-street parking charges by merging the five parking zones into three.
- Changing the times from which evening parking tickets can be purchased in accordance with the maximum period of daytime stay of each of the three parking zones (4pm in the Inner Zone; 2pm in the Green Outer Zone; and any time in the Grey Outer Zone).
- Reducing the number of different daytime on-street parking charges that apply in the city centre from 21 to 12.
- Reducing some of the parking charges in areas where demand for parking is high.
Councillor Simon Letts, Leader of the Council and lead member for Economic Development, said: “When I became Leader, I said that we would review parking charges in the city centre and we have. We worked with local businesses and together came forward with a proposal to simplify the system and reduce some of the charges. I hope that this will encourage many more people to come into our city centre and enjoy what Southampton has to offer.”
Detailed information on the new tariffs (PDF)
Find out more about parking in Southampton.