New appointments made to Southampton City Council
Southampton City Council’s new Leader, Opposition Leader, Mayor and Sheriff installed
Councillor Chris Hammond has been formally elected as the new Leader of Southampton City Council at the council’s Annual General Meeting today.
Following the local election on Thursday 3 May, where 16 out of 48 seats (one in every ward of the city) were contested, the Labour group were retained as the council’s Executive with an overall majority of two seats on the council.
The Executive will now comprise the following roles:
- Councillor Chris Hammond - Leader and Cabinet Member for Economic Growth and Development and Sustainable Living
- Councillor Jacqui Rayment - Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport
- Councillor Mark Chaloner - Cabinet Member for Finance
- Councillor Satvir Kaur - Cabinet Member for Communities, Culture and Leisure
- Councillor John Jordan - Cabinet Member for Children's Social Care
- Councillor Darren Paffey - Cabinet Member for Education and Skills
- Councillor Warwick Payne - Cabinet Member for Housing and Adult Social Care
- Councillor Dave Shields - Cabinet Member for Health and Community Safety
Councillor Daniel Fitzhenry was also elected as Leader of the Conservative group. The Shadow Cabinet will comprise the following roles:
- Councillor Daniel Fitzhenry - Leader of the Conservative Group and Shadow Cabinet Member for Economic Growth and Housing
- Councillor John Hannides - Shadow Cabinet Member for Finance, Leisure and Culture
- Councillor Steven Galton - Shadow Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport (including Planning)
- Councillor James Baillie - Shadow Cabinet Member for Children’s and Education
- Councillor Ivan White - Shadow Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care
Southampton’s new Mayor and Sheriff were also sworn in. Councillor Stephen Barnes-Andrews became the city’s 796th Mayor while Cllr Peter Baillie takes on the role of Sheriff. Both will hold the posts for the next year.