Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Do it online > Report abuse and concerns > Older people and vulnerable adults

Older people and vulnerable adults

Older people and vulnerable adults

The following information will help you understand how reports about safeguarding concerns for Adults and Vulnerable people are dealt with.
Please remember that No abuse is acceptable. If you believe a crime has been committed your local police should be contacted. (Telephone 0845 045 45 45 or 999 in an emergency)

What you can do if you think someone is being abused or someone is abusing you

  • don’t assume that someone else is doing something about the situation
  • if anyone is injured get a doctor or ambulance
  • make a note of your concerns, what happened and any action you take
  • let us know by either telephoning us or completing the e-form on this page
  • all safeguarding matters will be dealt with confidentially, though if the issues concern evidence of a crime, or unacceptable risk, this may be shared with the appropriate authorities
  • if you think a criminal offence has been committed, contact the police straight away

What will happen next?

Adult Services work closely with other organisations and the person affected to find out as much as possible about what has happened. We will do a number of things which might include:

  • talking to you and other people involved to find out what has happened
  • planning what to do to safeguard the person being abused
  • supporting the person and their carers through the process
  • being available to offer support in the future

If we suspect a crime the police will be involved, working alongside other agencies.
For more information on services for Older People and Vulnerable Adults please visit our web pages

Related links

This website
Adult protection

Contact information