The Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) is for people who have already applied online to become British citizens.
If you decide to book an appointment with us, we will send certified copies of your supporting documentation, including passports and/or travel documents, to the Home Office for you. This service allows you to retain your original documents whilst the Home Office considers your application for citizenship.
If you use the Nationality Document Return Service (NDRS) you may also decide to add the Passport Checking Service. This extra service will allow you to apply for your British Passport at the same time as using the NDRS. (The Passport Checking Service is no longer available for people who use the Nationality Checking Service)
If you decide to use the NDRS service you must:
The NDRS service is by appointment only. Please telephone us on 023 80915327 and we will be pleased to book you in. Alternatively, please email email@example.com and we will respond within five working days.
Families can make a joint application. Children under 18 do not need to attend the office in person but parents must ensure that all relevant documents including passports are presented. (Please note that if the child’s application includes the Passport Checking Service then the child must attend if they are over 15 years and six months old).
What to bring:
- Document Checklist displaying the Payment Notification Number (PNN) for each person applying
- Original referee pages with photograph attached
- All supporting documentation which you would like submitted to the Home Office in support of your online application. The NDRS agents cannot provide any advice on the supporting documents you choose to submit
- If you are opting to have your passport application checked please see further information below
||JCAP (Passport checking)
|30 January 2018 to 31 March 2018
|1 April 2018 to 31 October 2018
Fees apply to applications for adults and children and are inclusive of VAT. The fee for your appointment is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable.
If your passport application cannot be submitted at the time of your appointment due to discrepancies in your name or other information we cannot refund your passport fee of £15.00. This is because we have completed the passport checking service as required even though it cannot be submitted.
*There is an additional postage charge for using this service which will be taken during your appointment and is dependent on the weight of your application. Applications are sent by next day special delivery.
Passport checking service
This service costs an additional *£15 per applicant; this fee is payable at the time of booking and is non-refundable. Applications must be made using the standard British Passport application form available from the Post Office. The key advantages of using the passport checking service are:
- we will check the accuracy of your passport application form
- you will not require a counter signature on the passport application form
- you will not have to attend a passport interview with the UK Passport Office
- your passport application will be processed as soon as you have attended a citizenship ceremony and you will receive your passport at home within 20 working days
If you do decide to use the Passport Checking Service at the same time as the NDRS, please follow the steps detailed below when completing your passport application:
- Applicants should complete Sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. You do not need to complete Section 10 or have your two photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- The photographs submitted with both applications (three in total) must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and comply with the photo standards as described in the accompanying guidance. The applicant's name and date of birth should be written on the back of all photographs
- Section 1: Any applicant within six months of their 16th birthday at the time of application must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2: Please do not enter a mobile phone number in Section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead
- Section 4: Grandparents’ details are not required
- If you are unsure about any requirements leave the section of the form blank and complete it at your appointment.
- Complete the payment sheet for the passport fee. This can be found in the passport booklet
Passport application fees
See GOV.UK - Passport Fees
What happens next
Using the Nationality Document Return Service does not guarantee that your application for British Citizenship will be successful or that a decision will be reached any more quickly. The decision to approve your application rests entirely with the Home Office. The Home Office may contact you for further information after your documents have been submitted.
The Home Office will contact you directly to advise you of the outcome of your application. If you are successful you will need to attend a Citizenship Ceremony to take your oath.
Once you have attended your Citizenship Ceremony your British Passport will be posted to your home address. This is only applicable if you have used the Passport Checking Service at the time of your NDRS appointment.
Home Office application fees for the National Checking Service on GOV.UK - Fees for citizenship applications