South Stoneham Cemetery
Stoneham Cemetery Road
There is a Chapel situated within the grounds which, on payment of an additional fee, can be used for holding a service prior to a burial taking place.
For information on our below ground cremated remains plots, which can hold up to four sets of cremated remains, please contact Bereavement Services on 023 8076 6405.
Seating capacity: 60 - 70 people.
South Stoneham Cemetery is open at all times.
There are no public toilet facilities at this cemetery.
The first burial to take place at South Stoneham Cemetery (originally known as South Stoneham Parish Council burial ground) on was on 4 February 1905. Southampton City Council took ownership of the cemetery in 1927. South Stoneham Cemetery can accommodate both new and re-opened graves and there is a section available for the interment of cremated remains and new sections for burials including areas of larger, premium graves.
South Stoneham Cemetery is adjacent to the site of the original Crematorium which was demolished in 1973 to make way for the construction of the M27.
Soil from the original site was transported to form the Garden of Remembrance which, with formal lawns and shrub beds, is still in use today. A range of memorials including pond plaques and kerb sets have been introduced in the Garden of Remembrance to enable families to commemorate the memory of those whose cremated remains have been scattered within the garden.