What happens after you've booked your ceremony?

Before you can marry in a Register Office, approved venue, or a building licensed for marriage (or a Church of England church, in some instances) in England and Wales, you must each give notice of your intention to marry.

This is a legal document, which identifies the two people and the place where they will get married.

There is a statutory fee of £35.00 per person for giving notice of marriage. We can often offer a Saturday appointment for your convenience. Saturdays have an additional charge of £10.00 per person and are very popular with couples. Please call us on 023 80915327 for availability.

Where should you give notice?

You usually need to give your notice at your local Register Office, but some exceptions apply.

If you live in Southampton City you must give your notice of marriage at Southampton Register Office. Please allow up to an hour for your notice appointment.

You will be required to provide specified evidence of your name, age nationality, current address and marital status if you have been married or in a civil partnership before. Failure to bring the correct documents to your notice appointment may result in the notice not being taken. A full list of the documents required to Give Notice is available on this website; the link to this list can be found below.

Non-EEA Nationals

If you or your partner are subject to immigration control, you will need to give notice to marry or register your civil partnership at a 'Designated Register Office'.

There are 76 designated register offices in England and Wales, including Southampton Register Officer.

If you both live in England or Wales then you must attend a designated registration office appointment in England or Wales together. If one of you lives in Scotland or Northern Ireland please contact the Register Office for advice.

In addition to the documents detailed in the list of documents required to give notice, you must have the correct entry clearance before you travel to the UK to marry or register a civil partnership.

Visa enquiries should be made via the Home Office.

How much notice do you need to give?

The notice is published in the Register Office for a period of 28 days.

For non EEA nationals who do not provide evidence of either: settled status, permanent resident status, marriage visa, civil partnership visa or exemption from immigration control, the couple will be referred to the Home Office under the Referral and Investigation Scheme.

The Home Office may then take 70 days to review your paperwork and there is an additional fee of £12 each to pay at the time of giving notice.

Passport style photographs must also be provided at the time of the notice for each couple that are referred to the Home Office.

Church of England

If you wish to marry in the Church of England, you will need to contact the Church who will call Banns. Couples wishing to marry in the Church of England where one or both are Non-EEA nationals will be required to give notice of marriage at a Designated Register Office.

Booking your notice appointment

Bookings for ceremonies in Southampton are made on condition that notice is given within 3 months of making the booking.

Appointments are subject to availability and high demand will affect how soon we can offer you an appointment.

If you wish to make an appointment to give notice of marriage at Southampton Register Office, please complete the contact form stating your nationalities, the town where you live, the date and place of your forthcoming marriage.

We will contact you to arrange an appointment. Please note that the notice fee will be payable at the time of booking your appointment.

Further legislation information