Changes to a birth, death or marriage registration when incorrect information is recorded in the register.

You'll need to show that the information given at the time of the registration was wrong. The original documents that show what the correct information should have been, will need to accompany your application.

These will be returned to you once we have taken copies. Depending on the nature of the correction, your application may need to be submitted to the General Register Office for their consideration.

You will be informed by the registrar if this is the case. The registrar will advise you at the time of your application if an appointment will be necessary and what supporting documents will be necessary.


It’s free to make a correction to the register.

If you want a new certificate showing the new details, you’ll need to pay a fee for the new certificate.

Changes may be made to birth registrations in the following circumstances:

  • To remove the wrong father's details from a birth registration
  • To re-register the birth if the natural parents get married after the birth. You will need to contact the Register Office to make an appointment to do this
  • To add the father’s name to a birth registration. You will need to contact the Register Office to make an appointment to do this
  • To change a forename, the law allows for a change to a child's forenames to be added to the birth register within twelve months of the birth registration. This is may be that the new forenames were given either in baptism or you have changed your mind. Forename changes may only be made once in the birth register. If your child has been baptised within twelve months of the birth registration, only the baptismal names may be added to the register and not another name of your choice

Please request an application form from the Register Office by completing the email contact form, stating if you require a baptism or change of name form. These services are all free of charge, but you will be required to pay for any new certificates.

You do not need an appointment to do this. The registrar will contact you once the new names have been added to the register to arrange payment for any new certificates.