We are seeking to recruit volunteers to help us run The Hawthorns Urban Wildlife Centre.
You do not have to be a wildlife expert, just have a keen interest in the natural environment, a willingness to learn about how and why the garden is managed for nature and the ability to communicate with visitors to the Centre.
There are lots of opportunities to get involved including;
- Helping keep the Centre open at weekends by talking to visitors and helping them get more out of their visit
- Leading short guided walks around the grounds
- Leading guided walks on Southampton Common
- Helping with or running an activity such as minibeast hunts or environmental games
- Creating or helping with hands-on family friendly themed activities/arts and crafts
- Help to develop displays and other resources
Forest Schools and Environmental Education
There are also opportunities to help out at Forest School type activities or helping to run educational activities for school, youth and young peoples groups
Volunteers that help with these groups will be required to complete a DBS application
Please note that Forest Schools take place at sites other than The Common.
Fill in a Hawthorn volunteer application form
Due to the unsupervised nature of the volunteer sessions, we regret we are unable to accept applications from persons under 18 or those requiring one to one support.
You can contact the Centre by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 023 8067 1921. Staff are not always available to answer the telephone during the week and not at all at weekends, but if you leave a message we will get back to you as soon as possible.
For information about the Café please call 0787 242 9392