The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Charging Schedule for Southampton came into came into effect on 1 September 2013. The CIL is a standard, non-negotiable charge applicable to developments where there is a net increase of 100 square metre of floor space or the creation of one or more dwellings.
The charge varies between different use classes as follows:
- Retail use (Class A1 - A5) are charged £43 per square metre*
- Residential use (Class C3, C4, and Sui Generis Houses in Multiple Occupation) including self-contained student flats and cluster flats are charged £70 per square metre*. Further information is set out in The Planning Inspector's report.
There is no charge for
- Hotels use (Class C1)
- Residential Institutions use (Class C2) including some student accommodation which includes individual bedrooms with shared communal facilities and where residents do not live as a single-family
- Community use (Class D1)
- Business use (Class B1, B2, B8 and other commercial uses not specified above)
From 6 April 2017 the indexed CIL rate is as follows:
- £55.29 per sq. m for retail use
- £90 per sq. m for residential use
*This figure is increased annually using figures form the All In Tender Price Index published by BCIS of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors.