Residents and non-residents of Southampton City Council can use a SmartCities card to pay the toll charges on the Itchen Toll Bridge using our online system.
Apply for a SmartCities card
You can also print out the SmartCities application form and apply in person at a Southampton City Council library in Southampton, or in Gateway in One Guildhall Square.
If you already have a SmartCities/Southampton bus pass card, you can apply to have it set up to pay the Itchen Bridge toll charges.
The amount you have to pay to cross the Itchen toll bridge depends on the height of your vehicle measured in meters at the first axle and the time you are crossing. You may be eligible to a concession on the toll.
When you have your Itchen Bridge card, you will need to top up your account.
People with a long-term eligible disability can apply for travel concessions on a SmartCities card. Find out more about the Itchen Bridge toll exemption for disabled people.
Itchen Bridge account for businesses
Businesses can manage an account with multiple cards for their vehicles online.
The Concessionary toll is available to:
- Owners and operators of vehicles registered to and operating from the commercial concession zone
- Hackney carriages licensed to Southampton with a height at first axle of over 1.33m
- Private hire vehicles licensed to Southampton with a height at first axle of over 1.33m
- Owners of oversize non-commercial vehicles (e.g. camper vans) residing within the business concession zone
Print out the SmartCities Itchen Bridge Business account application form.
The commercial concession zone
The commercial concession zone covers Woolston, Weston and Sholing. This area is:
- Bounded on the north by Sholing Road, South East Road and Heathfield Road
- Bounded on the east by the city boundary
- Bounded on the south and west by the river and shoreline
- Including all those premises situated on the northwards extension of Hazel Road
The Concessionary Zone is the area shown within the thick black line on the downloadable Commercial concession zone map.
Holders of Smartcities cards for the business concessionary toll will be contacted to renew their cards annually.
For further information, please email us.
Terms and Conditions for SmartCities card services are shown on the printable application forms.