Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Animal welfare > Animal welfare officer

Animal welfare officer

Southampton City Council has one Animal Welfare Officer who works closely with Warren Avenue Kennels to provide a number of animal related services:

  • Collection of stray dogs either directly from the streets or from members of the public who have found them

  • Patrol of the City's green spaces to ensure responsible use by dog owners

  • Advice to dog owners on a number of behavioural issues including noise, aggression and destructive behaviour in the home

  • Work within schools and community groups to provide education in responsible dog ownership and how to be safe around dogs

  • As an inspector under the Animal Welfare Act, working closely with the RSPCA to prosecute offenders

  • Inspect animal related licensed premises (pet shops, breeders, boarding establishments)

Applying for a licence to keep a home boarding establishment

If you are operating a home boarding or ‘dog sitting’ service within the city of Southampton, you require a licence from Southampton City Council.

The Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963 requires Southampton City Council to charge a fee as part of the application which is currently £35.00

Please note that if a sitter is paid to care for dogs in the dog owner’s home then there is no licence requirement. A licence is valid from the date of issue until the end of the year to which it relates to. Licence renewals are valid from the 1st January or the date the application is received, which ever is later.

Downloadable documents

Contact information