Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Building control > Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

Why do I need permission?
Building Regulation permission is required to ensure, as far as the local authority can, that all construction work complies with the minimum standards set by the Government.

What is the cost of a Building Regulations Application?
Full plans application - A plan charge is payable on submission of the application and an inspection charge is payable after the first site inspection has been carried out.

Building Notice application - A building notice charge is payable on submission of the application and covers all administration and site inspection costs.

Find out about fees on this page.

When can I start building work?
Full plans application - It is best to wait until you have received Building Regulations Approval before commencing work. However, once a commencement notice has been given, work can start after 48 hours.

Building Notice application - Building work can commence 48 hours after giving a commencement notice.

Can I obtain a Completion Certificate?
Yes, following satisfactory completion of the work. You should also request one to be issued and arrange for the Building Control Surveyor to carry out a completion site visit.

Can I obtain approval for work already carried out to my property?
Yes, a Regularisation certificate may be applied for if the work was commenced on or after 11th November 1985.

What other approvals do I need to obtain?
You may require Planning consent for new buildings and certain extensions/alterations. The Development Control Section should be contacted for advice by telephoning 023 8083 2603.

Should I inform my neighbour of proposed building work?
The Party Wall Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes which may arise regarding work affecting walls between properties. A neighbour`s consent will be required where work is carried out close to or affects a party wall and therefore projects should be discussed prior to commencing work. An explanatory booklet is available by contacting the Building Control Section. Further advice should be obtained by contacting a local Surveyor.

Where can I obtain further advice on building regulation matters?
The Building Control Section makes available a duty surveyor each weekday afternoon between 3pm and 5pm (4:30pm on Friday). The duty surveyor may be contacted by telephone 023 8083 2558 or by calling in person at our reception counter at 1 Guildhall Square.

Contact information