Industry, waste disposal and accidental spillages of contaminants can cause contamination of land. If not dealt with, it can be a threat to human health, the environment and the development of the city.
As regulator, landowner and planning authority the City Council is responsible for ensuring that:
• The land in its area is suitable for its current use.
• Land in its area is made suitable for any new use.
• That land recognised as being "contaminated" is made suitable for its current or proposed use.
• It leads by example, when managing contamination on its own land.
The council's Pollution and Safety team carries out the council's duties in respect to the Part IIA regime. We also:
• act as advisor to other council departments about land contamination.
• maintain records on land quality.
• assess site investigations provided with redevelopments proposals to ensure they comply with UK policy.
• oversee remediation schemes to ensure sites are suitable for use.