Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Roads > Network Management > Building materials licence

Building materials licence

Where possible, all building materials should be stored on private land. If this is not possible, a licence is required to store materials on the public highway.
Examples of building materials:
  • Sand
  • Ballast
  • Cement
Waste products or rubbish are not permitted to be placed on the public highway under this licence. Please obtain a Skip Licence to store/dispose of your waste/rubbish responsibly.
Fees will be applicable and conditions attached.
  • Returnable deposit £118.00
  • Non returnable licence fee £36.00 per month (or part of) renewable monthly
  • £57.00 Pre-site inspection

Regulation Summary
A summary of the eligibility criteria for this permission. Local authority guidance notes will be attached to each of our permissions to outline any further requirements that we require from the applicant.

Application evaluation process
We will endeavour to process your application as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this permission and third party interest we will aim to grant permission within 8 weeks of the application being made. This however is subject to receiving all required documentation, correct payment and the suitability of the location.

Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority MUST process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply online
Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances
Extend your current licence

Mandatory - Conditions attached to permissions are at the bottom of this page.
Failed application and permission holder redress
Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance. Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the permission.

Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact information