Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Roads > Network Management

Network Management

Network Management - Highway Licences

It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the public highway; the term 'highway' includes roads, pavements and verges.

If you wish to work on or occupy the public highway, you must be appropriately licensed.

  • Temporary Heavyweight Crossover or Dropped Crossing - How to apply for a licence to construct a temporary or permanent vehicular crossing.

  • Road Opening Licence - How to apply for a licence to excavate in the public highway.

  • Building Materials Licence - How to apply for a licence to place and store building materials on the public highway.

  • Scaffolding & Hoarding Licence - How to apply for a licence to erect and place scaffolding and hoarding on the public highway.

  • Skip Permit - How to apply for a permit to place a skip on the public highway.

  • Crane Licence - How to apply for a licence to operate a crane on or over the public highway.

  • Tables & Chairs Licence - How to apply for a licence to place tables & chairs on the public highway.

  • Pay & Display Parking Bays - How to apply to suspend pay and display parking bays.

  • Temporary Traffic Management - You will be required to make provision for pedestrian and vehicular traffic whilst carrying out your works. A Traffic Management Plan will be requested from you to be read in conjunction with your application.

  • Current and proposed Roadworks within the City of Southampton can be viewed by following this link.

  • If you are planning your journey, you may find it useful to visit the Citywatch website where you will find full details of our traffic and travel information.

Contact information