Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Roads > Network Management > Road opening licence

Road opening licence

If you need to break open the public highway to repair or install apparatus, you will need either a S171 or S50 licence.

Examples of a Section 50 Licence:
  • New sewer connection.
    New connection to gas main.
Examples of a Section 171/174 Licence:
  • Repair to cable.
  • Repair to sewer connection.
  • Dropped crossing.
Eligibility criteria:

Contractors accredited under the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991 can apply for this licence.

Required documentation:
  • Evidence of £10 million Public Liability Insurance policy.
  • Evidence of Contractor's accreditation under the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991.
    No less than one supervisor and one operative's details will be accepted.
  • A site plan, to scale, showing the location of the proposed works.
  • Traffic Management Plan complying with Chapter 8 of the Traffic Signs Manual and related Codes of Practice.
  • Evidence of permission to connect to Utility’s plant/apparatus (if applicable). Fees will be applicable and conditions attached.
  • Licence fee £218.00.
  • Fee for manual notices £32.00.
  • Inspection Fee (4 x inspections @ £57.00 each) £228.00.
  • Deposit £80.00 per m2 of reinstatement (minimum deposit £536.00).
Application evaluation process
We will endeavour to process your application as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this licence and third party interest we will aim to grant licences within 8 weeks of the application being made. This is subject to receiving all of the required documentation and the correct payment.

Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority MUST process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply by post, just print and fill in the appropriate downloadable form at the bottom of the page and return along with the requested documents to the address below:

Highways Service Partnership
City Depot and Recycling Park,
First Avenue, Millbrook,
SO15 0LJ

Telephone: 023 8079 8010


Failed application and licence holder redress
Please contact the local authority in the first instance.
Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the licence.

Consumer Complaint
In the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK,
Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Related links

Other websites
Department for Transport

Contact information