Southampton City Council50 Years of City Status Stay connected logo

Stay connected

Our free email alerts service will help keep you connected to the things that matter to you.

Choose from a range of topics including:
Events, leisure and culture, library offers and community news,
job alerts, road works, city news and more...

Enter your email address below to get started or to edit your account.


You are here:home > Environment > Roads > Network Management > Scaffold and hoarding licence

Scaffold and hoarding licence

In order to regulate the placing of scaffolding/hoarding on the public highway, you are required to obtain a licence. This is in accordance with section 172 of the Highways Act 1980. The term 'highway' includes roads, pavements and verges.

Eligibility criteria:
Scaffolding Companies (Scaffolding) and Contractors (Hoardings) only can apply for this licence.

Required documentation:
  • Evidence of £10 million Public Liability Insurance.
  • Risk Assessment / Method Statement.
  • A site plan, to scale showing the proposed location of the scaffolding/hoarding.
  • Traffic Management Plan.
  • Fees will be applicable and conditions attached.
  • Application £70.00.
  • Pre & Post Inspections (2 x £57.00) £114.00.
  • Weekly Inspection £28.50 per week.
  • Refundable Deposit £118.00.

Regulation summary
A summary of the eligibility criteria for this permission. Local Government guidance notes will be attached to each of our permissions to outline any further requirements that we require from the applicant.

Application evaluation process
We will endeavour to process your application as quickly as possible. Due to the nature of this permission and third party interest we will aim to grant permission within 8 weeks of the application being made. This however is subject to receiving all required documentation, correct payment and the suitability of the location.

Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority MUST process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the authority within a reasonable period, please contact us.

Apply online
Tell us about a change to your existing circumstances.
Extend your current licence.

Mandatory - Conditions attached to permissions are at the bottom of this page.


Failed application and permission holder redress
Please contact the local authority in the first instance. Applicants may appeal to the West Hampshire Magistrates' Court against refusal to issue a licence or against conditions of the permission.

Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Downloadable documents

Contact information