When Southampton's first public museum opened in 1912, one of the first gifts was Captain Smith's Royal Naval Reserve dress sword, presented by his widow, Eleanor. Over the subsequent years many items were given to the City mainly relating to crew members.
Many of these items are on display at the new SeaCity Museum alongside original material from Titanic's sister ship Olympic, including the panel Honour and Glory Crowning Time featured below. An almost identical panel was made for the Titanic's main staircase and a reproduction of this panel featured in major scenes from the 1998 'Titanic' film.
Objects from Southampton's Titanic collection
|Royal Crown Derby plate from the a la carte restaurant of Titanic. Arts and Heritage collection, Southampton|
|Water-colour by Esther Patterson of Titanic Third Officer Herbert Pitman in White Star Line uniform.|
| Sedunary pocket watch belonging to Third Class Steward Sidney Daniels|
| Honour and Glory panel|
There are also a great many memorials relating to the Titanic in Southampton, including the magnificent Engineers' Memorial (1914), East Park; a crew memorial (1915), now in Holyrood Church; and a number of crew members' graves, for example the grave of lookout Frederick Fleet in Hollybrook Cemetery.
An exciting publication on the Titanic disaster is available. Photographs and items from the City's collections, together with moving oral testimony of the disaster from survivors, all feature in the major publication 'Titanic Voices'. The book, which includes a DVD, is available from various stockist's including The Stores in SeaCity Museum.
For more information about the events planned in Southampton to mark the centenary please visit the SeaCity Museum website.