Westgate Hall (formerly known as Tudor Merchant's Hall) is adjacent to Westgate in the Town Walls of Old Southampton. Henry V and his army marched under this archway en route to Agincourt in 1415. And it is where the Pilgrim Fathers embarked on their journey to America aboard the Mayflower in 1620.
The hall is a 15th century timber-framed building. It originally stood in St Michael’s Square, where it was used for the storage and sale of woollen cloth. The ground floor then served as a covered, arcaded fish market. In the 17th century the hall was in a dilapidated state.
The building has been beautifully restored with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund and Southampton City Council and is available for hire. It is an attractive and unusual venue for civil marriages, wedding receptions, private parties, concerts, lectures, meetings and conferences. The main hall is on the first floor, via lift access. A refurbished reception area, cloakrooms and a kitchenette are situated on the ground floor.
Westgate Hall is situated in Westgate Street off Bugle Street, SO14 2AY