SeaCity Museum is a brilliant learning resource, with two purpose-built education rooms, a dedicated lunch space and a variety of learning experiences on offer. Discovery sessions, workshops, trail sheets, teacher preview evenings and INSET opportunities are available. Bookings are being taken now for visits to the museum. For more information please visit the SeaCity Museum website.
Discovery sessions and Workshops
All our workshops and tours are tailor-made to your requirements. We promote creative thinking, discussion and group work, catering for all types and ages of learners. We enable participants to handle authentic museum objects and engage with the use of primary sources.
We also cater for English language students with specially created trail sheets which complement the ESOL Skills for Life curriculum.
Popular workshops available include:
• Southampton as a city- The city’s development through the ages
• Time traveller: A speedy journey through everyday life in Southampton’s past (focusing on Romans, Saxons & Medieval Times)
• Archaeologists and history detectives: Practice archaeology and enhance your skills of deduction, exploration and inference
• Clausentum: Life in Roman Southampton (KS2 & 3)
• Anglo-Saxon life (KS2 & 3)
• Wool, wine and work: Life in Medieval Southampton (KS2 & 3)
• Life onboard the Titanic (KS1 & 2)
• Crew required- The story of the Titanic crew members (KS2)
• Mrs Watson’s toy box (KS1)
• Sugar, spice & all things nice- An investigation into Tudor exploration (KS2 & 3)
We can include the following in sessions:
• Object handling (real and replica objects)
• Trying on costumes
• Make & take (based on the workshop)
• Playing games from the past
• Decision-making tasks
We can arrange and tailor a session to suit your group’s requirements. Discovery sessions can be of a combination of the exhibitions or focus on one in particular.
We can also tailor sessions to match curriculum themes. For example, Romans, Saxons, Medieval period, World Wars and the Titanic.
The most popular Titanic session, which is best suited to pupils from KS1-3 is a one hour session of the Southampton’s Titanic Story.
Marine Design session: Specialist session developed for marine design students. Students explore different designs as well as investigate ship plans and models from our collection.
One hour child workshop (Maximum of 33 participants) £76.00
One hour child guided tour (Maximum of 33 participants) £45.00
Child group entry charge (more than 10 visitors) £3.00 each
FREE entrance to groups booking both a tour and a workshop in the same visit.
Adults go free when accompanying groups with a recommended ratio of adult to child.
Loans Boxes- Loan period is for half a term. £25.00 for Southampton based groups, £30.00 for non-Southampton based groups. Please refer to the Arts & Heritage Learning Brochure for further details.
*Prices subject to review after April 2012 onwards
Please contact the Learning Officer on 023 8091 5730 or Museums.Education@southampton.gov.uk for more details.